Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Use Your Imagination...

Okay. Let's talk disaster preparedness. I've seen the books, I've read the web sites and everything I've seen so far is either BORING or TERRIFYING. Neither works for me. I'm not some "chick" running around screaming that "THE SKY IS FALLING!!"  I just believe there are some practical steps we can all take before the world around us turns upside down and I believe it can be fun. I am involved in disaster planning, emergency management and crisis intervention every day and I'm having a blast! You should be too.

So here's your first assignment: Use you imagination. Imagine the last vehicle you rode in. Imagine that for the next three days (72 hours), your only source of anything is what is in that vehicle right now.  It is your only source of water, food, money, medication, light, warmth, clothing, shelter, entertainment...ANY thing. If it is not in that vehicle you don't get to have it for three whole days.

Now, raise you hand if you would be thirsty, hungry, having a medical emergency...bored to tears.  This is the essence of disaster preparedness. In a major disaster it is quite possible that you might need to be completely self reliant for three days or more.

How comfortable are you going to be if that happens. Now that you have thought about it, what are you going to put in that vehicle that wasn't there today. How comfortable do you want to be when the next disaster waltzes into town? You have a lot of options. Packing a backpack with some of your favorite foods, some water, a flashlight, a blanket, a battery operated radio, a favorite book. There are so many simple things you can do...use your imagination!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for making us think. Any special suggestions for temperature-sensitive daily medications? Sure can't store them in the glove box and even a backpack by the door might not be the best option, but those are definitely something I couldn't go three days without.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question. I'd say keeping a cold pack ready in the freezer that you can grab in go in the even of a quick evacuations situation.

    They also make some nifty "coolers" that plug into the cigarette lighter of you car that are like mini fridges that run on your car battery just like a cell phone charger. I found one a PEP Boys a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete